30 Simple Self Care Practices to Flex Your Self Care Muscle
Do you groan when you hear the phrase self care? With all the things on your plate – and all the time and energy to take care of everything in your world – here's one more thing to do. A part of you knows it's good for you, right? It does makes sense. But how do you make the time to incorporate self care practices into your already busy life?
The trick is to identify easy, no brainer self care practices that you can dive into right now.
And here's a reality check… self care is not about checking out from your life. It is not self indulgence. It is a savoring, relishing and enjoying of your trips around the Sun. The self care practices below can be approached as everyday treats, a respite from the mad roar of responsibilities, a dive into your deliciousness.
Don't get caught up in any self care have to or should do. (Any indication that you're feeling that way and feel free to cross that practice off your self care list.) As in all things, the activities that call to you will be very personal. My self care practices may differ from yours.
How to Start Your Self Care Practice
How do you know which self care practices are the ones for you? When you hit on your self care practices you will feel recharged, renewed, restored and refreshed.
The best approach to self care is to have fun with it, be light about it. Imagine you're at the buffet table of Life and there are infinite tantalizing dishes for you to try. Peruse the list below and notice which ones call to you. You get to choose! Enjoy!
- Start a ‘Love Me' file…capture the great stuff folks say about you, read regularly
- Drink more water... add lemon to your water, experiment with vanilla and peppermint
- Take a 10 minute breath break... notice the in flow and out flow of your breath
- Indulge in a secret yen… be bad, break a rule, unleash your inner rebel
- Go for a walk… in the morning, at lunch, after dinner, whenever
- Get naked… lose the clothes, acknowledge the beauty, strength and wonder of your body
- Draw or paint … whether you've been trained to or not, doodle if you must
- Spend 15 minutes in the sun… either early am or late pm, enjoy the sunshine
- Make mirror magic... look at your reflection and say “I love you” (with gusto)
- Play like a kid… ride a swing, play jacks, dance in the rain
- Give yourself a 10 minute foot rub… use lotion to give each foot a 5 minute touch up at bedtime
- Put on your favorite tunes… sing along, set the mood, savor it
- Nap on the porch… snuggle with your pooch or a scrumptious blanket
- Dance with wild abandon… dress up, dress down, or not at all
- Share a secret in your journal… name the unnameable, unleash your deep desires
- Eat a fresh salad… try out new greens, play with different dressings
- Commune with nature… go for a hike, hug a tree or play with your plants
- Sing out loud… in the shower, around the house, to your loved ones
- Take a bliss break… do something that makes you feel delicious
- Laugh till your sides hurt… watch a funny movie, make a silly face, read the comic strips
- Make a new dish… set the table, light candles, put on music, share with a friend.
- Read your favorite book… in your favorite nook, with a cup of tea, no time limits
- Sleep in… laze around, stretch out, don't do a thing
- Go on an Artist Date… explore a new neighborhood, walk don't ride
- Bathe by candle light… add lavender oil, soak indefinitely
- Act ‘out of character'… do something you ordinarily wouldn't
- Lighten up your closet… donate 5 things you haven't used in a year
- Unplug for a day… shut down your phone, computer and electrical devices (no Facebook!)
- Journal for 5 minutes… do a brain dump, share your hopes and dreams, just write
- Smile more… at a stranger on the street, a baby in the playground, your reflection in a store window
It doesn't take much to get the self care ball rolling. Small and steady practices – things that can be done quickly, at almost no cost, and without a major disruption to your routine – will pay off in big ways. Try out as many of these simple self care practices during our time together. You'll be glad you did!
What are some of your favorite self care practices? Share below.
PS Ready to relax, release, and renew? Join us!