Instant Self Care: Ten Simple Ways to Relax When You’re Stressed
Whether it’s fluctuating income, keeping abreast of technology, or juggling your objectives, your business provides plenty of opportunities for potential stress.
Though mind body practices – like tai chi or yoga – are ideal for the long term navigation of stress, so are re-engineering your business objectives and outsourcing some of your technical and administrative tasks.
In the meantime, you just need a quick and simple way to relax… right now! Having your favorite relaxation techniques at the ready can save your life, because stress isn’t only uncomfortable it can also be dangerous to your health.
What to do when you’re in the thick of a stress episode and you don’t have the time to meditate? Try one of these easy techniques and watch how your breathing eases up and your body tension melts right away.
1. Breath deeply. Try ten deep breaths through your nose. Close your eyes and pay attention only to your breathing while doing this. Want to balance your brain at the same time, try alternate nostril breathing. Breath practices are like a mini-meditation, and one of the most effective of the quick relaxation techniques.
2. Go for a walk. If you have at least ten minutes to spare, walking is one of the best relaxation techniques. While you’re at it, find a pretty place to walk.
3. Try laughing. You can either watch some funny You Tube videos or even start laughing spontaneously. What may first seem to be a forced laughed, will become genuine laughter. Laughter relaxes and energizes you in seconds.
4. Play relaxing music. Make sure to have a supply of soothing sounds. The genre isn’t as important as the tempo. It could be Indian Flute, Harp Music, New Age or classical. What’s important is that you choose music that is 60 beats per minute or slower, the idea being to reflect the tempo of a relaxed heart rate (HR). Your body will physically synchronize with the music and relaxation will happen very quickly.
5. Give or get a hug. A hug is powerful medicine, not only because you feel supported and cared for, but because physical touch is a powerful need for everyone. It’s primary food!
6. Go to another room. Just changing physical locations can often create a shift in perspective. Sometimes it’s because you’re leaving the source of your stress, it can also be that a different environment will elicit a different response.
7. Take a hot shower. It relaxes your muscles, and any break from more stressful activities can help too. Some find that an alternating hot and cold shower is even more relaxing.
8. Interrupt Your Routine. Take a different route when you go pick up the kids. Change your lunch hour. Just doing anything that breaks you out of your habitual patterns can relieve stress.
9. Drink some chamomile tea. Chamomile tea seems to have a calming effect on the nerves. There are plenty of herbal teas that are relaxing and have healing properties, like Peppermint.
10. Take a break and watch your thoughts. Imagine that you’re watching a large movie screen and your thoughts are scrolling across the screen. Notice the incessant, non-stop internal dialogue. Whether it’s worry, guilt, or your BIG to do list, you can resolve them and feel more relaxed. This mindfulness exercise might become one of your favorite relaxation techniques.
Now that you have a powerful ‘bag of tricks’ you get to try them out and find your favorites. The more you practice, the quicker and easier you’ll be able to shift from stressed to blessed. Remember, the way out of the stress is to choose to shift your current state, and that can easily be done now that you know how. Enjoy your Calgon moment!
Want to recover your essential self and access peace in record time? Grab your Free Instant Access to my “Self Care Mastery Jumpstart” when you visit https://selfcaremastery.com/gift.